These can be found on Martha Stewart's web site and they are a wonderful breakfast dish. Summers are not complete without blueberry scones.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons of sugar, plus more for sprinkling on tops
1 Tablespoon of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of salt
6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, clean and dry
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing tops
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place Silpat or parchment paper on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the largest pieces are the size of small peas. Stir in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Using a fork whisk together the cream and the eggs in a liquid measuring cup. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, and pour in cream mixture. Stir lightly with fork just until dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to mix well.
- Pad dough into a 6 inch square about 1 1/4 inches thick. Using a floured knife, cut into four 3-inch squares. Cut squares in half on the diagonal to form 8 triangles. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with cream, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown, 20-22 minutes. Transfer scones from baking sheet to wire racks to cool.
- Serve with real butter, lemon curd or jam.